Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Equinox Skin Care - The Big Rip Off!

Recently my debit card received two charges by a company I have not done business with.  Honestly I missed the first one of $4.95 that occurred on the 3rd of December.  Foolishly I thought based on the name Equinox that it had something to do with shipping charges on a recent equine supplement purchase.  I disregarded it as it was only $4.95.    That was a HUGE MISTAKE!  Not only was I to discover that Equinox was NOT an equine related company but because I had ignored the first minor charge, Equinox charged my account $99.00 on the 17th of December.  A surprise that was not welcome and certainly not expected. 

Acknowledging that mistakes can be made, I called Equinox Skin Care company.  I explained I did not order anything from them and had not received anything from them.  I was rewarded with a laugh, a comment that no refund would be made and the “Customer Service” representative hung up on me.  I use the term “Customer Service” loosely as there was no customer service present during the phone call.  Another call to the company resulted in another hang up, so I called my Bank.  First let me say, my Bank was wonderful.  All parties were helpful and supportive within the regulations that govern their business.  I was told I needed to dispute the charges.  I have done so.  So despite our recent snowfall I headed into town hot on the tail of a snowplow.  Which by the way, Montana (at least in Ravalli County) has the best snowplow service I have ever seen.  Thanks, Guys, me and the little Kia thank you.

Once at my Bank, arrangements were made to reissue a new debit card to prevent any further unauthorized  charges.  The Bank representative who certainly practices Customer Service and Customer Satisfaction called Equinox Skin Care.  The response she received was much like mine without the laugh.  The Equinox representative alleged I had ordered the product and received the product but could not produce information showing I signed for the product.  That information was not available because I had not received the product or for that matter ordered the product.  The Equinox representative did agree to cancel the subscription that had my name on it but even though the cancellation fell within their the 14 day cancellation without charge period, they refused to refund the $99.00.  The 17th was the 14th day. 

So essentially Equinox wanted to be paid for not providing a service or a product.  The only thing I received was a loss of funds by a company with questionable business practices.  Well let’s not forget heartburn due to the stress involved with this scam.  Hmmmm…not sure that is worth $99.00.

After signing the appropriate Bank required paperwork, I again called Equinox Skin Care.  Same lack of Customer Service.  I was left on hold for 15 minutes waiting for a supervisor only to receive a supervisor who had difficulty understanding what my complaint was about.  When finally the light bulb went on, the regulatory laugh was presented along with the “no, absolutely no, refund”.  At that point, I went to the grocery store and bought two donuts. 

After cleaning stalls and refilling water buckets I returned to some resemblance of a normal human being.  One thing I learned from my daughter is that the Internet will tell you everything about any company in the world.  Now the information presented may or may not be true but it is there.  I started my research on Equinox Skin Care aka Equinox DNA.  What I discovered was appalling and frightening.  Not only did Equinox DNA hold a BIG FAT F on the Dallas Texas Better Business Bureau website but there were endless lists and comments about their deceptive business practices.   A great majority of the comments centered around Equinox’s deceptive business practices but also included  fraudulent charges, company failure to comply with cancellation requests, refusal to refund, refusal to replace product not received, and the list went on and on.  The majority of the complaints had resulted in NO RESOLUTION FROM THIS COMPANY.  Many of the posters had just given up trying to resolve anything.  While some indicated satisfaction with the product the company’s business practices were left wanting. 

The way this scam works, and if you think it is not a scam that is your right, is that Equinox and an associated company, Truth and Beauty, offer “free” samples. This advertising was supported by the Doctor Oz Facebook posting a few weeks ago.  All they ask is that you pay the shipping and handling for a miraculous product that will take years of your face. 

Where the two companies seem to differ is that Truth and Beauty tells you up front that you must cancel during a specific period or they will automatically charge your account for future shipments.  From what I was able to determine from the posts, Truth and Beauty while somehow “in bed” with Equinox treats cancellations with a bit more customer service resulting in some customer satisfaction.  That is where the similarity ends because almost 99% of the complaints about Equinox Skin Care indicated that the ads on the internet did not include a subscription warning.  100% of the viewed complaints from consumers who actually received the sample package indicated Equinox Skin Care provided no enclosed documentation in the sample package indicating that  you had in fact subscribed for a monthly product delivery to the tune of $105.95 a month.  A good percentage of complaints indicated they received no product after the payment of $99.00 went through their bank account.  I followed the ad on the internet for Equinox and found no mention of any subscription period or indication of an automatic charge of $99.00 until I actually went on their website.  The notice is listed in small print at the bottom of the home page and easily missed.  It does state that cancellation is allowed in the 14 day period but fails to mention that no refund will be made even though the consumer may not have received the product.  It is possible I misread because it was late and I was beginning to tire of reading about this company who has ripped off so many. 

After determining in my mind that something was really wrong with this picture, I filed several complaints to include Better Business Bureau, People Claim Administration, and the Consumer Protection Agency.  I also did a web search of companies that have featured this product in their magazines or websites.  I have sent emails to many as I had time for.  Additionally, I contacted the Doctor Oz show who sent me a form email indicating no response would be forthcoming.  I posted on his Facebook and received a deletion.  Perhaps the comment is still there but I couldn’t find it.  So I sent CBS a request for review.  I used to watch Doctor Oz but no more.  Any public figure who supports a scam like this is not someone who deserves my time.  If he was unaware of the deception than shame on his handlers, they should have done their research.

So for those who have had the unpleasantness of Equinox Skin Care foisted upon them during this Holiday Season or anytime for that matter, I urge you to pursue some kind of action against this company.  I am not sure if the product works as I have not used it.  I am not sure if this company is acting illegally as I am not an attorney.  Although, I am hoping some energetic legal Beagle will go after Equinox Skin Care aka Equinox DNA.  I am not sure if anything can be done to stop their deception but I think we at least need to try.

I received an email from Equinox Skin Care this morning that I would be receiving a $99.00 refund within two weeks.  Since refunds are done electronically and they certainly removed my money quickly enough, I do not feel this resolution is satisfactory.  I have responded that the refund must be received today.  I can forgive the $4.95 as a payment for a lesson to me to more carefully watch my on-line transactions and never assume that a company with a name remotely sounding of horses is a legitimate.  I have been spoiled by the wonderful service and products from such companies and Dover Saddlery and SmartPak.  Perhaps Equinox Skin Care could pay one of those companies for some lessons in business practices and honesty.  To allow Equinox even one more day of access to my money is not permissible besides one of the complaint posters indicated her refund never came through as promised.  I am not counting my chickens before they hatch.

For those of you who wanted more information, hopefully I have provided it.  I will  post further developments on this site and leave Facebook for more pleasant holiday ramblings.  I firmly believe it is time to clean up Equinox Skin Care and erase the “wrinkles” in their deceptive practices.  If they don’t wish to treat the American Public with decency and fairness than perhaps they should not be doing business in the USA. 

2 comments:

  1. Friends! I want to share about my scar removal, which is successfully done by Klinik Esthetika which is in Delhi, Klinik Esthetika use the laser technology to remove the scar and there have no pain when this treatment is start. Klinik Esthetika Remove the acne scar very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this insightful article I too have fallen victim to this company and currently trying to get a refund

    ReplyDelete